CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 01, 2009

Tip Of the Day

Taken from Harvey Penick's Little Red Book

BACKSPIN-An average golfer was pestering Tommy Armour to teach him how to put backspin on his iron shots.

The obvious answer is that if you hit the ball solidly, the loft of the club will put backspin on it. But this was too simple. The average golfer was sure Tommy must know some secret that made a good middle-iron shot land on the green and dance backward.

Finally Tommy said, "Let me ask you something. When you hit an approach shot from 140 yards or so, are you usually past the pin, or are you usually short of it?"

"I'm nearly always short of the pin," the average golfer replied.

"Then what do you need with backspin?" Tommy said.
___________________________________

-I love this short story of backspin. I, we, tend to over think golf sometimes. I have to remind myself from time to time to just let it come naturally. That's usually when I break 100...

-Jared

0 comments: